Thursday, April 07, 2005

Muuhhh

Me the other nightIt's been a long time since I was sick to the point that I felt as helpless as I did last night. What started out as a nasty allergy attack Tuesday morning gradually morphed into a four-alarm viral/cold/flu whatever it is that had my nose running like a damn faucet and my brains scrambled to the point of unusability. This was the kind of sick where everything had a weirdly chemical "sick" smell to it, there was a distant ringing in my ears, and my entire being felt like a stack of crumpled-up, soaking wet paper towels.

To paraphrase The Verve, the drugs didn't work: popping pills to combat the worst of the symptoms provided no relief whatsoever from the onslaught. I tried my usual sick defense of bundling myself up head to foot in blankets and layers of clothes in an attempt to "cook" the fever out of me, but even that seemed like a hopeless task as I'd awaken a couple of hours later dripping in sweat and actually feeling worse than before.

Ah, but it's always darkest just before the dawn, as the old proverb says, and that was the case here as well. I gradually awoke just before 8 A.M. this morning feeling not too bad at all, and I laid there in bed for a few minutes, afraid to stand up and suddenly feel like re-heated shit again. A little bit of dizziness and distant "murgh" feeling remains as I write this, but this is certainly better overall than I have felt for a couple of days now.

Against my better judgment, I'm gonna attempt a return to work this afternoon (I can't really afford two off days in a row right now and too much needs to be done today anyway) and see how that goes. I think that a shower followed by a big breakfast is in the cards since I haven't had much beyond chicken salad, orange juice, water and a fistful of pills over the last 48 hours.

Thank God for ibuprofen.


Addendum: OK, very bad idea.

All was going well until I got my breakfast at Bob Evans, at which I point I think I very nearly fainted (having never done so before, I'm not really sure what the hell happened). The waitress had put my plates down in front of me, and I had just taken a bite or so when I was overcome with dizziness to the point that I literally couldn't sit up anymore: I just moved my plates aside and rested my head on my arms like a first grader during "naptime." While this happened it felt like all of the blood in my body pooled up in my gut: my arms and legs were buzzing all over as if I‘d been sleeping on them. A bit scarier was that all of the sounds of the restaurant faded slowly away to a near-silence before starting to come back at last.

When I was able to sit back up, I was soaked with sweat from head to toe as well as a bit embarrassed for what had happened (I think I freaked out the waitress a little bit, but I left her a good tip for bringing me more water after she asked if I was OK).

From there it was on to work to at least get some work caught up, but it was apparent pretty quickly that I was not improving. Luckily, I was able to reach Brian and arrange for him to cover tonight as well as tomorrow so I can try and beat this thing once and for all. Chunky chicken noodle soup, stat.

In other news, blogger has apparently really taken a shit as it took me about 24 hours to post this update from when I wrote it. Way to drop the ball, there, guys.

Also, Moe is trying to get some neutered sex on with Ghidorah. Oh dear.

No comments: